Skip to main content

Sub navigation

About us

The dwelling house ‘Nithsdale’ and surrounding grounds sited at 1 Brackenbrae Road, Bishopbriggs, was originally bought from our founding father David Imrie, Veterinary Surgeon of Glasgow, from Alexander McNeil, butter and egg merchant of Monkland Street, Glasgow on May 13th 1905.

So commenced the long and lasting link with the above address with ‘the vets in Bishopbriggs.’

Mr. Imrie travelled each morning by pony and trap into Glasgow to his farrier’s premises near the High Street where he treated the various heavy draught horses which worked within the city at the time. In the afternoons he would return and set out to visit his farm clients in the surrounding countryside, and the dairy cows which were to be found in premises at dairies within the city limits.

Mr Imrie employed Mr Robert “Bob” Ross, an Irishman from the Isle of Magee in Northern Ireland. He had worked as an assistant during his student days at the veterinary college in Buccleugh Street in Glasgow and on completion of his studies, joined the practice as a vet with Mr Imrie.

During and immediately after the Second World War the practice flourished and as veterinary science developed, so the methods for successfully treating all animals, but in particular farm animals, progressed rapidly. Those of you who can remember the television series “James Herriot” will have an idea of how things were developing at this time.

Part of the buildings we occupy today were used during the war years to house a cow and hens to provide milk and eggs for the household – quite appropriate since it was originally owned by a butter and eggs merchant.

Mr Bickerton, a local Bishopbriggs boy, joined the practice as a veterinary assistant and became a partner in 1964 when the practice became known as Ross and Bickerton. Mr Cameron joined the practice in 1968 and became a partner in 1979, and on Mr Bickerton retiring in 1990 the practice became known as “Bishopbriggs Vet Centre”.

The foregoing is a brief history and insight into 106 years of vetting since our inception in 1905 until now.

The entire team here at Bishopbriggs Vet Centre and at our branch surgery in Chryston hope to continue the tradition of friendly, efficient and professional veterinary services for many years to come so the “The Bishopbriggs Vets” continue to be the first port of call for any of the sick or injured animals in our area.